There are some items that must be found online. Whenever you are searching for a unique item, the internet is the best place to find it. Home stores and kitchen stores sell Chinese cleavers, but they only offer a few options. The internet, on the other hand, offers a huge variety of Chinese cleavers.
Though, that can be a problem. Too little variety is bad, but too much variety is confusing and difficult. The internet offers hundreds of Japanese cleavers. This creates a few unique problems. The biggest problem is not knowing which of these cleavers are high-quality.
That’s why we sifted through the internet to find the best Japanese cleavers. We were able to narrow the search down to the top twelve cleavers. You will have to review our buying guide and determine which cleaver serves your purposes the best.
Table of Contents
- What Is A Chinese Cleaver?
- The 12 Best Chinese Cleavers
- 1.KYOKU Samurai Chinese Cleaver
- 2.Zwilling Chinese Cleaver
- 3.TUO Meat Cleaving Knife
- 4.Victorinox Chinese Cleaving Knife
- 5 Mad Shark Pro Cleaver Knife
- 6.Dalstrong Phantom Chinese Cleaver
- 7.Findking, Dynasty Series Chinese Cleaver
- 8.Sky Light Cleaver Knife
- 9.Zelite Infinity Cleaving Knife
- 10.Zhen Japanese Knife
- 11.Wusthof Pro Chinese Cleaver
- 12.Swiss Army Brand Chinese Cleaver
- A Buyer’s Guide: Selecting the Best Chinese Cleaver
What Is A Chinese Cleaver?
Chinese cleavers are blades that have a rectangular shape and an extremely sharp edge. Generally, the knives are ground at a sixteen-degree angle. These knives originated in China. They have been around for hundreds of years. Eventually, chefs in Japan began using the cleavers. They gave them the name “Chukabocho.”
These cleavers are very unique. They are very versatile and can serve a variety of purposes. These cleavers can be used to chop, slice, peel, or debone. The flat side of the blade can even be used to crush garlic cloves and other similar items. The spine can be used to pound meat. These knives are wonderful tools to have in your kitchen because they can fulfill the purpose of multiple kinds of blades.
The 12 Best Chinese Cleavers
We narrowed the search down to the top twelve best Chinese cleavers. Each of these cleavers will offer you extended and versatile use. After hours upon hours of research, we were able to find the best Chinese cleavers the internet has to offer.
1.KYOKU Samurai Chinese Cleaver
The KYOKU Samurai Chinese cleaver offers a seven-inch, full tang blade. The pakkawood handle with a mosaic pin is a standard design. The knife comes with a sheath and case. The ultra-sharp, cobalt-added blade offers a cryogenically treated steel cutting core. This enables it to offer incredible edge retention.
This Chinese cleaver’s blade is ergonomically designed. This helps to reduce finger discomfort and wrist fatigue that often accompanies extended periods of slicing and chopping. The handle’s material allows the knife to resist heat, coolness, and moisture.
The edge of this knife is insanely sharp. It was handcrafted by experienced artisans to a polish at thirteen to fifteen degrees per side. This was done with the traditional three-step Honbazuke method. The blade is cryogenically treated to offer hardness, corrosion resistance, and flexibility. Plus, the knife comes with a lifetime warranty that permits you to exchange the item if it is defective.
- This Chinese cleaver offers a seven-inch, full tang blade.
- The pakkawood handles offer a standard design with a mosaic pin.
- The knife comes with a sheath and case.
- The cryogenically treated blade offers hardness, corrosion resistance, and flexibility.
- The handle is shaped to reduce finger discomfort and wrist fatigue.
- A lifetime warranty ensures an exchange if the item is defective.
- The knife is somewhat expensive.
2.Zwilling Chinese Cleaver
The Zwilling Chinese cleaver is manufactured in Germany. The blade is created from a special formula high carbon. This seven-inch blade is made with precision. The blade is housed in a black and stainless steel handle.
This knife is strong and durable but still offers a lightweight. The ice-hardened friodur blade stays sharper for a longer time and offers superior resilience. The knife is full tang and features and ergonomic polymer handle.
This traditional three-rivetted designed knife is embedded with a Zwilling J.A. Henckels logo. The blade offers excellent edge retention and features a fifteen-degree angle on each side. This high-quality blade is durable, sharp, and will provide you with extended use.
- The cleaver is created from a special formula high carbon.
- The seven-inch blade is made with precision.
- The black and stainless steel handles are beautiful and high-quality.
- This knife is strong, durable, sharp, and offers superior resistance.
- The knife is full tang and has an ergonomic polymer handle.
- The blade features fifteen-degree angles on each side.
- The blade is on the expensive side, costing just under one-hundred dollars.
3.TUO Meat Cleaving Knife
TUO creates extremely high-quality knives. Their cleavers are no exception. TUO offers six different cleaving knives with a variety of design options. We are going to review the Black Hawk-S.
The Black Hawk-S is a seven inch, heavy-duty cleaver knife. The blade is elegantly designed and functional for the modern kitchen chef. The blade is composed of a special-forged, high-carbon, stainless steel blade. This blade is created from high-tech vacuum heat-treatment. Nitrogen cryogenic tempering ensures that the blade is durable, flexible, strong, and offers maximum performance.
The blade features an awesome ripple pattern. This pattern was forged by state-of-the-art technology. The pattern is three-D. This reduces the contact surface between food and the blade and prevents food from sticking to the blade. This maximizes slicing efficiency. The blades twelve to fifteen-degree angle on both sides also improves the cutting performance of the blade.
The handle of this knife is comprised of fiberglass. This G10 handle features an ergonomic grip. The grip is comfortable and well-balanced. The mosaic rivet creates a sense of uniformity. The cleaver comes with a gift box and one-hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed. If at any point, you feel that the product does not offer superior performance the company guarantees your money back.
- TUO offers six different cleaver knives.
- The blade is composed of specially-forged, high carbon, stainless steel.
- The blade has been specifically treated to be durable, flexible, and strong.
- The unique ripple pattern sets this knife apart from the rest.
- The blade resists sticking and offers precise angles to allow for easy cutting.
- The ergonomic grip allows you to comfortably hold the knife in your hand.
- The lifetime, one-hundred percent satisfaction guarantee ensures that you receive all of your money back if the knife fails to live up to its expectations.
- The knife does not offer a wooden handle.
4.Victorinox Chinese Cleaving Knife
The Victorinox Chinese cleaver offers a seven=inch, stainless steel blade and a fibrox, swiss-made handle. The knife can handle the chopping of most vegetables and softer meats, but the blade is thin. It is not meant to chop through bones.
The knife is incredibly lightweight and offers fair performance. The Victorinox cleaver is also very affordable. It features a basic design that is ideal for most beginners. This cleaver is capable of slicing, chopping, and mincing. But, it can also crush, smash, scrape, and scoop.
The Victorinox Chinese cleaver appears to look like a standard cleaver, but the knife features a fine blade that is capable of so much more.
- The cleaver offers a high-quality, seven-inch, stainless steel blade.
- The blade is housed in a fibrox, swiss-made handle.
- The knife does well with chopping, slicing, and mincing.
- The knife is also capable of crushing, smashing, scraping, and scooping.
- The blade does not meet the desired angle requirements.
- The cleaver offers a very basic design.
5 Mad Shark Pro Cleaver Knife
The Mad Shark pro kitchen cleaver comes with a fancy gift box. This knife has a seven-inch, high carbon, stainless steel blade that is german made. This ultra-sharp knife is housed in an ergonomic handle.
This blade was curated with cutting edge technology and outstanding craftsmanship. The knife is durable, stain-resistant, rust-resistant, and wear-resistant. The blade is capable of cutting meat, slicing vegetables, and mincing herbs. However, the thickness is not ideal for cutting through bone.
The full tang, ergonomic handles efficiently balances the thin blade with the handle. This allows you to use the cleaver more efficiently and exercise more control. The handle is center-engraved and riveted to provide even more resilience. This cleaver also includes a lifetime warranty. This warranty ensures a free replacement if the blade ever fails you.
- The cleaver comes with a fancy gift box.
- The seven-inch, high carbon, the stainless steel blade is german made.
- The ergonomic handle is durable, stain-resistant, rust-resistant, and wear-resistant.
- The cleaver is capable of cutting, slicing, mincing, and more.
- The full tang handle efficiently balances the knife.
- The knife comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The cleaver’s thickness is not suitable for cutting through bone.
6.Dalstrong Phantom Chinese Cleaver
The Dalstrong, phantom series hybrid cleaver is a beautiful cutting tool. The eight-inch blade is composed of high carbon and AUS8 steel. The beautiful black knife is attractive and comes with an equally attractive sheath and gift box.
This hybrid cleaver is as versatile as a chef’s knife and offers the weight and width of a cleaver. The knife’s curation features nitrogen cooling for hardness and a craftsman’s thirteen to fifteen-degree angle on each side. The knife offers flexible use and is resistant to corrosion. The tapering produces minimal drag and ensures swift and precise cutting with little effort.
This full tang, high carbon handle is durable and strong. The knife is engraved and features a hand-polished spine and ergonomic bolster shape. This offers a natural grip and smooth ‘pinch grip’. The rich black Spanish pakkawood handle is laminated to ensure a good grip and excellent durability. The design is fitted perfectly to your hand. A brass mosaic pin features copper elements and screams luxury and refinement.
This Dalstrong cleaver offers a one-hundred percent satisfaction guarantee or your money back. The cleaver also offers a lifetime warranty for defects. Dalstrong is a renowned brand that offers excellent customer service.
- This cleaver is a beautiful satin black.
- The cleaver comes with a sheath and gift box.
- The knife offers the versatility of a chef’s knife and the weight and width of a cleaver.
- Nitrogen colling ensure hardness.
- The thirteen to fifteen-degree angle allows easy cutting.
- The knife is resistant to corrosion.
- The high carbon handle is durable, smooth, strong, and offers a secure and comfortable grip.
- Dalstrong offers a satisfaction guarantee, lifetime warranty, and excellent customer service.
- We can’t find a single thing wrong with this cleaver.
7.Findking, Dynasty Series Chinese Cleaver
The Findking, dynasty series Chinese cleaver is a beautiful knife that comes with a beautiful gift box. This seven-inch bladed knife features a unique design. The knives in this series aim to show off the beauty of eastern knives. The blade is durable and corrosion-resistant.
The handle of this knife is crafted from African rosewood. This wood promotes beauty while providing the user with comfort. The handles offer a natural grip that optimizes maneuverability and control of the knife.
The weight of this knife is not balanced. The knife is heavier at the blade. This makes the knife an excellent choice for chopping and creates a steady movement that is efficient and strong.
- This knife is beautiful and unique.
- The knife features a seven-inch blade.
- The blade is durable and corrosion-resistant.
- The handle is beautifully crafted from African rosewood.
- The handle features a natural grip.
- The knife is not as versatile as some of the other options.
8.Sky Light Cleaver Knife
The Sky Light seven-inch cleaver knife is composed of german, high carbon stainless steel. This material offers a few unique benefits. The metal is resistant to corrosion, resistant to rust, and very durable.
This knife is created to serve multiple purposes. The knife can slice, chop, crush, mince, dice, and flatten. The blade features a seventeen-degree angle on each side. The blade is relatively thin but extra sharp. The shining blade is hand polished by metal craftsman to provide a professional appearance.
The one-hundred-percent stainless steel handle is extremely durable. The handles are full tang and offer a lightweight design. The weight of the handle balances perfectly to allow you the most control. The triple rivets provide you with optimal control of the knife. The handle is specifically designed for both right and left-handed users.
The company also provides every buyer with a one year warranty and one-hundred percent money-back guarantee.
- The cleaver offers a seven-inch German high carbon stainless steel blade.
- The materials are resistant to corrosion and rust. It is also extremely durable.
- The knife serves many purposes.
- The blade features a seventeen-degree angle on each side.
- The blade is hand polished, thin, and extra sharp.
- The handle is full tang and offers a lightweight design.
- The company offers a one-year warranty and a one-hundred percent money-back guarantee.
- The handle is not wood, but it is still nice.
9.Zelite Infinity Cleaving Knife
The Zelite Infinity cleaving knife offers a razor-sharp, seven-inch blade composed of german steel called ThyssenKrupp high carbon stainless steel. This metal offers you top performance, rust resistance, stain resistance, corrosion resistance, and durability. This blade is tough and offers extreme edge retention.
The full tang, ergonomic, large-forged rounded back handle offers the perfect forward balance and tapering. This knife is very high-quality. It is capable of chopping, slicing, crushing, mincing, and so much more.
Plus, the company provides a one-hundred percent satisfaction or your money back guarantee This means that if at any point you are unhappy with the performance of this knife you can return it for a full refund. This knife also includes a high-quality gift box.
- The blade is a razor-sharp, seven-inch steel/
- This german-made steel blade is rust-resistant, stain-resistant, corrosion-resistant, and durable.
- This blade offers extreme toughness and edge retention.
- The full tang, ergonomic handle offers the perfect forward balance and tapering.
- The company offers a one-hundred percent satisfaction guarantee.
- The knife comes with an exquisite gift box.
- This knife does not feature a wood handle, but the steel is very durable.
10.Zhen Japanese Knife
The Zhen Japanese cleaver is offered in three blade lengths. The knife can be purchased with blades six and one-half inches, seven-inches, and eight-inches long. These blades are three-layer forged steel. They feature a VG-10 cutting core and HRC 60-82 hardness. The blades are exceptionally sharp and offer incredible edge retention. The durability of these blades is unmatched.
The full tang handle design features a tight seal. This enables the handle to be completely waterproof and easier to clean. The handle is comfortable to hold and non-slip. This Japanese cleaver is crafted from steel imported from Japan. The company offers a limited lifetime warranty against defects.
- The cleaver is offered in three blade lengths.
- The blades are three-layer forged steel.
- The blades are exceptionally sharp and offer incredible edge retention.
- The full tang handle features a tight seal to enhance waterproofing.
- The handle is comfortable to hold and non-slip.
- The steel used to create this cleaver is imported from Japan.
- The company offers a limited lifetime warranty against defects.
- The handle is not wooden and lacks the attractive design of a wooden handle.
11.Wusthof Pro Chinese Cleaver
The Wusthof Pro, an eight-inch Chinese cleaver is designed exclusively for professional chefs. This cleaver is capable of meeting the strenuous demands of a professional kitchen. The blade is precision-stamped and created from high carbon stainless steel. The use of this material ensures long-lasting sharpness.
The curved, ergonomic handle reduces the risk of hand fatigue. The handle is perfectly balanced with the blade to allow you full control and effortless cutting. The handle is seamless which makes it more hygienic. Plus, a large finger guard prevents your hand from slipping. This increases your safety and allows you to cut more quickly. This knife is made in the cutlery capital of the world, Solingen, Germany.
- This eight-inch cleaver is exclusively designed for professional chefs.
- The cleaver is able to meet the strenuous demands of a professional kitchen.
- The high carbon stainless steel material ensures sharpness.
- The curved, ergonomic handle reduces hand exhaustion.
- The finger guard promotes your safety.
- This cleaver is slightly more expensive than the averaged price item from this list.
12.Swiss Army Brand Chinese Cleaver
This Swiss Army Brand Chinese cleaver portrays China throughout the design. From the Chinese markings to the shape of the cleaver, this cleaver is traditional and original in every way. This cleaver is excellent for slicing, chopping, or mincing. The knife can also be used to separate meat from the bone.
The handle offers a comfortable shape and traditional design. This knife would be a durable addition to match any set. Plus, The knife is created from a high-quality and trusted brand. Swiss Army Brand has been making affordable, high-quality knives for decades.
- The cleaver features a traditional design and original elements.
- The cleaver is ideal for slicing, chopping, mincing, and cutting meat from the bone.
- The handle offers a comfortable shape and traditional design.
- The knife is very durable.
- The knife is created from a trusted brand.
- The knife is pretty heavy and thick.
A Buyer’s Guide: Selecting the Best Chinese Cleaver
These six considerations are key to determining the quality of any knife, especially a Japanese cleaver. The knife’s construction, material, length, thickness, handle, and price. But, you can only utilize these criteria if you understand it. So let’s take a look.
Not every knife is created equally. There are some knives that are constructed far better than others. Full tang knives are the most durable. Durability is important when you are considering the purchase of a new knife. Imagine a knife snapping while you are cutting with it. The scenario could be extremely dangerous for the knife user. Partial tang knives can work well, but they are not nearly as durable as full tang knives.
The material of the blade is key to determining the quality of it. Better materials mean that the knife will last longer, allowing you to get more use out of it. There are two common materials used to create knives, stainless steel, and high carbon steel. Occasionally, the two materials may be mixed together.
High carbon steel is very strong, but it is not corrosion-resistant. Sometimes this material even makes the food taste different. That’s why we prefer stainless steel knives.
There are a variety of blade features that vary from knife to knife. The thickness is one of these variations. Typically, thin blades are best for softer foods, such as vegetables. Thicker blades are best for chopping through bones and meat. A thin blade would be roughly two millimeters. A thick blade would be closer to eight millimeters.
To maximize the knife’s usefulness, you should aim for a blade somewhere in the middle. A thickness between four and six millimeters is best. Opt for four millimeters if you generally use the knife for chopping. Select a six-millimeter thickness if you generally cut through bones and meats.
We prefer to use long Chinese cleavers. The blade of a long cleaver must be at least seven inches long. Any blade smaller than seven inches would decrease the versatility of a Chinese cleaver.
The handle is a personal preference, it is unrelated to the intended use of the knife. Handles are typically made from wood, steel, or molded plastic. Wood offers a very attractive appearance. It is much nicer than steel and plastic. Cleaver’s are nice because the shape prevents the knife from slipping out of your hand.
As with every purchase, the price is a key consideration. Top of the line cleavers can cost an arm and a leg. Some of these knives cost up to two-hundred dollars. But, you can get a high-quality Japanese cleaver for around fifty dollars.
We’ve handled all of the research and reviewed twelve of the best Japanese cleavers. But, every purchase is personal. You will have to decide for yourself which of these items is the best for you. We wish you the best of luck in your search for the best Japanese cleaver.